Monday, June 04, 2007

A Colony of Cupcakes

Cupcakes....


More cupcakes....



And even more cupcakes.


My granddad’s 80th birthday was a huge celebration last year, in accordance with the Chinese tradition of celebrating their 80th year in a huge way. Reaching 80 is an achievement. Yay for granddad!

Anyway, dinner was a in a restaurant with about a 100 guests. Instead of the usual birthday cake, I made individual little vanilla cupcakes for each guest. It took me two days, but the effort was definitely worth it.


Vanilla cupcakes

Ingredients:-
1 cup unsalted butter/230g, softened
1 ½ cups caster sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups all purpose flour, sifted+1 ½ cups self raising flour, sifted
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line muffin tins with paper cupcake cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.
3. Add in flour and milk alternately in about 4 parts, stirring mixture until just blended between each addition. Do not over-mix or cupcakes will be dry. It’s best to do this bit by hand. (Obviously I didn’t do this while making my 110 cupcakes.)
4. Spoon mixture into cupcake cases, about ¾ full. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly springy when pressed. Remove from trays and let cool.

They’re also really yummy when fresh out of the oven. That may be partly why I took 2 days, I had to eat some from each batch. Quality control, you know =P

For the icing, I just mixed icing sugar with a little water to form a workable paste, added food colouring and piped the tips on.

All the pretty colours <3

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww they're so cute! They look mighty tasty as well :P

Happt B-day to grampa :D

Beans said...

mike: very belated wish, or maybe a very early one, this was almost a year ago. But also very appreciated. Was just digging through old photos and came across these =)

Anonymous said...

hahaha...well at least I didn't miss it, right? :D

BTW, these little image verification thingies before you can post a comment are driving me bonkers. I never get it right on the first try. *grumbles*

Anonymous said...

I always equate cupcakes to choking...LOL

Anonymous said...

Sacre bleu! There are cup cakes all over ze place...this is not happening....Ai.....Viva le revolution!

Anonymous said...

wow! @@ I really admire that will to bake so much cupcakes! may your grandpa have more and more coming birthday :)

Beans said...

mike: give's you a chance to use those artist's eyes of yours =P

gallivanter: no cupcakes for you then! lol

not so anonymous: stop being annoying

xin: thanks! =)

KeV's wAlKAbOuT said...

wow soooo many cupcakes! U might as well make more of them to sell too! LOL... ur really something to make 100 of them urself! *2 thumbs up*

Anonymous said...

Beenee, your pictures are a lot better and mouthwatering too. Those cupcakes are very cute ! Love how you arrange the cupcakes neatly. Keep up the good post, enjoying your blog :).

Anonymous said...

Did my comment go through? Blogger and my internet is having PMS.
Your pictures are very great Beenee, those cupcakes makes my mouth water. And they are so cute also that I don't want to eat them while they are neatly arranged like that. But yet they look so delicious too. Perhaps I should make two sets, one for decoration purpose and another one for my stomach.

Anonymous said...

I tell u my comment went missing :(
Anyway, was gonna say whatya do with so many cupcakes ? How many you feeding here ? If UPS not too far, just drop by to me, I don't mind hehehe :)